Monday, April 9, 2007

Day 13,14,15 - 157km


This was the view I had over the Moen river to help me digest my breakfast of peanuts and sugared rice biscuits this morning at 7 a couple of hours in to my day of hill climbing.
I have just finished an incredible three days cycling from Mae Sot to Mae Saliang where I have just arrived. Absolutely stunning landscape, great little hill tribe villages to have a bite to eat in and "rustic" guesthouses, where in last nights case you sleep on a mat on the floor with the rest of the friends and family for 1 euro a night. This was not a problem in the slightest as it was run by a friendly Burmese guy who spoke great English and we went in to depth about the state of his native land and the likes, interesting stuff, even more so considering this was my first english coversation in two weeks, couple this with his great version of "Brown eyed Girl" on his out of tune guitar and you have got yourself a making for a good evening.
Today unfortunately I was unable to do the 90km from Mae Salit to here due to lack of places to refuel and the near vertical climbs that faced me, so I stuck out a thumb and hitched the remaining 35km in to town in the back of a pick up, I feel a little guilty but it was the right thing to do, my legs after the last few days could bring me no further.
So it is a well desrved Thai massage, couple of days rest and maybe if I am lucky a bit of English speaking company as this place seems quite touristy before I head off on the 200km to Chiang Mai.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hay spanky, thats some landscape. im enjoying looking at your pics man, theres a photographer in you. enjoy your rest.
ois.

caz said...

Hi will,
What a great time you are having i admire you, The things you have experianced so far are wicked and thats only in 2 weeks!!! just think what the next 17.5 months has in store for you. Have a good rest before you start the next part of your jouney. Its great to hear what you are up to and where you have got to.
Take care and keep cycling!! :o)
caz and dan

Unknown said...

Will,

Jill Forde here, Anna sent on your blog website..fair play to you will be following with interest what an amazing journey..

Just back from Kerry here, lovely surf, getting better gradually!

Talk soon,

Jill

Unknown said...

Beautiful photo Will. Great way to see the world. Good luck and don't forget to wash your chamois every night!

Kieran said...

Hey Will,

Trip looks fantastic thus far! Just got back from Japan and have returned to my quarry retreat. Thinking of taking my bike out for a bit of a spin round the Scottish Highlands this weekend. It's gathering dust (and bird shit) in a cow shed at the moment.

Can't wait til November!! Keep the updates coming.

Kieran