Wednesday, May 9, 2007


Hello to one and all from sunny Vientiene. Not much to report I am afraid I just really want to post this photo of some monks crossing the top of a waterfall up near Luang Prubang, I ended up talking to them about girls, money and what they are going to do when they finish their time in the temple. Not the most pious and deep conversation I have had with a monk on my trip but I suppose 16 year old boys are the same all around the world.
I have to hang around Vientiene untill my visa for Vietnam is processed then it is direct east for about 6 days untill I get to Vietnam and then direct north in to China, through the mountains of vietnam, I hear this is one of the best routes in South East Asia. From the boarder the route is up to Kunming by mid June and then start on the Yunnan Highway to Tibet. Yes as I am sure it is no surprise to people who know me, I have had another oh so common change of heart and am reverting to my proposd plan, so no turning soft with the idea of plane travel, it is me and my bike the whole way.........hurrah!
Just a quick ode to my bike. After over 1600km and only one puncture my bike showed its first sign of fatigue, at the beginning I waved it off as nothing but a mere superficial wound, nothing a little spin wouldnt fix, but given a closer inspection on the morning before the my last leg I believed it to be something far more serious, maybe serious enough to have to amputate the rear hub, a suspected broken bearing. But surely not I thought, not in such a sprightly young bike, such ailments only happen to old, tired bikes? After easing her gently over the last 100kms in to town, I quickly sought out a much esteemed French cycle doctor renowned amongst the asian cycle community , he quickly assured me it was not serious, removed the sprocket, tightened some nuts and after applying some ointment to help her move more easily she was mine to discharge and take her home, as good as new. Now compared to most of the bikes people are touring on my bike looks quite old style, skinny and weak and does not look like it could handle any particularly rough roads or adventures, granted the true test is yet to come in China and beyond, but I believe she can do it. So after much deliberation I hereby call my bike "Rocacante" after the greatly underestimated steed of Don Quixote, I believe this calls for the 2nd hurrah of the post.........Hurrah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hay spanky, hope your keeping well. the northwest 200 bike race is on today its savage. first exam on monday, then one more to go its mad. keep trucking will.

Paddy Morris said...

Sup cuz? Love the photo of the paddling monks. Keep up the good peddling.
Check london2istanbul.blogspot.com for the BIGGEST copycat ever. Left at the same time, same place, on the same day as me and Andy, but exactly a year later. How very last season.
Morzine's rockin'. Bit of rain today but otherwise everything's well. Robinson's, paradis, Rhodos, Sherpa, barbecues. You get the gist.
Anyway, laters.

philip said...

Just had a thought. Shouldn`t it be willswayhome?